Breaking my self management rules

One of my condition management rules is 'no wheels inside the house'.

This is because if I don't exercise I will deteriorate. I have to practice my walking.

So in the long term it's better for me to walk.

However, this is a long term view, for when my symptoms are average.

At the end of last week I had a slight cold. Nothing dramatic. However, a slight cold kicks my autonomic dysfunction into a whole new level - on standing the speed at which my coordination and cognitive function becomes significantly impaired is impressive - I have seconds of full coherence if I'm lucky. (For those not familiar with PoTS, it causes reduced blood flow to the brain because the system is accidentally sending/leaving the blood elsewhere.)

photo from wheelchair users perspective of their lap next to some crockery, tissues, scarf, charger on a cushion..So it was a rough day. The kind where curling up in bed was the only realistic option. As I lay there wondering how I was going to reach the loo and then stand for long enough to wash my hands I realised: today was a day for breaking my 'no wheels' rule.

It was bliss. Not only could I use the bathroom, including to properly wash my hands and brush my teeth, but I could also tidy the pile of bits and bobs that accumulate by the sofa (especially on sofa days!). Placing them on my lap and taking them where they belonged without needing to stand even once.

But the most beautiful moment of all was when I saw rain was falling in sunshine in the front garden. The wheels meant I could scoot to the back of the house - way out of reach on foot - and spend 5 minutes watching a double rainbow slowly growing brighter in the sky.

Bright rainbow in grey sky, with a paler second rainbow outside it.

On Monday I felt a bit better, so I went back to my 'no wheels' rule.

In hindsight, looking at my dinner, that that decision may have been a little premature.....

curry splattered on the floor with a broken white and red dinner plate.