My Cooling Vest

Being heat intolerant means my cooling vest is a vital part of my condition management throughout the summer. I've had a few questions about it recently, so I thought I'd share a bit more specific info about it:

I've used cooling vests for over 10 years now, and absolutely love them. They mean I can function a lot better for a few hours a day in the summer - even if I am out and about.

It's basically a vest with 4 pouches on the inside, into which you put cooling packs. These packs contain a special 'phase change' cooling liquid. This liquid in the cool packs solidifies ('freezes') at a 15 degrees C - and stays at that temperature until it's all melted - which seems to be between 1 and 2.5 hours.

You can also get 21 degrees ones, which will melt a bit slower. I chose a shorter time of much better functioning instead of a slightly longer period of slightly better functioning (even 21 degrees can be borderline for my heat tolerance - but for some people 21 degrees might be better. Especially if you also have cold intolerance!


Packs can have 4 cells or 8 cells. I use 8 cell packs for a few reasons. 
  • 8 cells shape better to my body - creating a fairly even pressure, and cool hug on my torso. (Sensory issues mean this is a big deal for me!)
  • Being a narrow build the 4 cell ones stick out a bit far at the top when I sit down, and annoy me. (This probably isn't an issue for slightly broader people)
  • The greater flexibility of the 8 cell ones mean they can curve round to fit in a standard lunchbox coolbag - so I can easily carry a spare set with me - recharged and ready to go.
  • 4 blue coolpacks for the cooling vest, in a standard lunchpack coolbag
It's worth noting that 4 cell packs last longer as they are thicker. So it's a decision you'll need to consider.

The place I bought my original ones from about 10 years ago closed a long time ago. I had 2 vests originally so I could wear one and have one recharging and ready to swap. Over time they started to leak so I bought a third set of inserts. Last year I decided they needed replacing as they'd worn out. I bought a new vest with cool packs, plus an extra set of cool packs. I found 2 places/brands available in the UK/can be shipped to the UK. 

Bertschat: 

Pros: UK based (no customs fees)
Cons: Only has one size-fits-all, (it was massive on me - even with the velcro done up as small as it could go. I would have had to modify it significantly to wear it. I'm a UK size 12). The vest I received also lost a LOT of dye. As in, I tried it on for 5 minutes and ended up with smears of black dye all over my T-shirt and my hands (and a black hand print on my bathroom door where I touched it). After washing it twice it was still leaving dye when touched. Note: In fairness, it could have just been a faulty vest but it did put me off their brand. Either way, the vest got returned, but I kept the inserts as they are a standard size - so also fit the EZcooldown vest I bought next.
Cost: £119.99

EZcooldown: 

Pros: Multiple styles and sizes of vest available. I chose the 'complete performers vest' https://www.ezcooldown.com/products/complete-performers-vest - size Small, 15 degrees, 8 cells. I like cooling vests with velcro so I can adjust them to fit snugly. It works really well for me.
This vest didn't leak any dye. It has both velco and zip, so you can use velcro to make it your size - then just zip in and out like a jacket. But if you struggle with zips you can use the velcro to open it (tabbard style).
Cons: It's more expensive. And it's from Europe. This means you don't pay VAT on the original order, but will get a bill from the shipping company/customs for import duty - which will end up at a similar total (perhaps slightly more, I can't remember)
Cost: Approx £170 in total

Some other practical notes:
  1. They can be recharged in fridge, freezer, icebucket. (In winter I sometimes use them when in places with the central heating set too high - and then I can recharge them by putting them outside! The colder the place, the quicker the recharge.
  2. They recharge best if they aren't stacked up - if stacked up the middles may not re-freeze because the surrounding packs insulate them from the cold air.
  3. Always lay them flat to recharge them - otherwise you end up with wonky packs that can be very uncomfortable to wear!
  4. For smaller wearers like me who also self propel a wheelchair, the packs can stick out a bit - catching slightly on the top of the arms when pushing. Just enough to annoy me. Wearing a top that has sleeves that cover the top of the arm mean it protects the skin and stops it rubbing.
    close up of the shoulder of a narrow shouldered person wearing a cool vest, with Tshirt sleeves that go just beyond the edge of the vest arm holes.
    This T-shirt is probably the minimum sleeve that I can wear with a cooling vest.

  5. I have flown internationally wearing a cooling vest multiple times. I always carry with me a GP letter saying I need my cooling vest to help me regulate my temperature, and the instructions /infosheet for the coolvest - just in case it's needed. At the hand baggage check I usually get pulled aside for having coolbags full of 'liquids' - most of the time they've just had a quick look at them then accepted them as medical kit and let me through. The only time someone kicked up a fuss I explained that they were medically necessary and asked to speak to their supervisor - who quickly agreed they were fine. (I'd recommend using airport assistance as that means the people checking hand luggage see that you are with assisted travel and therefore are more mentally prepared for you to have some different needs.)
  6. Make sure you have several layers between your boobs and the cooling vest...It's COLD. Putting it on and then remembering that you aren't wearing a bra is NOT pleasant!
  7. If you are googling to find a cooling vest like these, use 'phase change cooling vest'.


Comments