The importance of slowing down.

Something I've realised recently is that I often do things at speed.

I don't mean I run - but I often rush. Or even make the movements within the task I'm doing very fast.

And it's not just big things, but even little things like reaching for a cup.

I can go from resting to active in a split second.

I think it's a subconscious "I've decided to do it, so I'll get it done. Now."

But whatever the reason, my body doesn't like it, and it's really kinda unnecessary - so I've decided to put effort in to slowing down.

I think, for me, the effect is a combination things.

My POTS is very negatively affected by adrenaline. If I get a kick of adrenaline, if I'm lucky I kinda feel OK for a bit but later I crash out. Other times I might go a shaky and floppy and feel awful straight away for a bit. And sudden changes can put me into 'fight or flight' adrenaline mode.

Sudden changes of posture or speed or going still to active also don't give my autonomic system time to adjust properly - which of course also annoys my POTS.

In addition, because of my hypermobility syndrome, I injure myself less and am more stable when I move more slowly, and with an awareness of my body instead of just hurling myself at a task and hoping for the best.

Writing it on here makes it sound...well....pretty obvious. But like most things, it's kinda only obvious once I've realised it!

So here's to taking a slower pace, with a view to improving fatigue and injury management.




Comments

  1. Yes!!! I do this all the time. It's been a big effort to calm myself down to do things slowly but I feel like I'm not being me, who is at heart (no pun intended!) a quick, energetic and active person, but who is actually a very fatigued person struggling to manage everyday tasks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.