Discovering the OneLeg stool

While representing the Hypermobility Syndromes Association at the Foothealth conference 2017, I was intrigued to discover the Oneleg stool.
It looks a bit like a mushroom, is designed to let you move easily when sat low down, and logic says it can't be very comfortable. However, as someone who does a lot better if I fidget when sat down I thought I'd give it a try.

Amazingly, this seat built to wobble feels really quite stable. It tilts - but in a controlled way. It's kinda hard to describe. It is much more comfortable to sit on than my wobble cushion - and gives a great core workout. It's also fine to sit still on. But instinct says "Fidget!! It's funner!" (it wasn't only me thinking this - the professionals who tried it seemed equally impressed. And equally keen to make the most of its capacity for movement while sitting still.). The one thing I couldn't do was slouch. I tried various slouches and every time I tried, my muscles kicked in and turned the slouch into a controlled movement - so it's a great deterrent against unwittingly flopping to end of range while sitting working (which is important for us who are hypermobile).

Seeing as the HMSA stand was next door to the OneLeg, I borrowed one and spent most of the morning sat on it. And when I did my lecture in the afternoon I sat on one instead of sitting in my wheelchair. It really helped with POTS management too - as I could keep my lower body moving enough to help improve circulation, without having to stand (which takes too much energy to be able to talk at the same time).

However, it should be noted that if you wiggle lots, then you really work your core muscles - and my hips and ankles too! So I'd strongly recommend building up how long you permit yourself to sit on it. It turned out that 4 hours on day one was a bit much - but I reckon if I bought one I would soon build my tolerance (and strength!).

My preferred height was the 48 inch. I'm quite long legged. I'd recommend trying various heights before buying if possible.

I now have this firmly at the top of my 'things to get' list - it will make a great office chair, and a way to strengthen my core. And when I have one, I'll be bringing it to events whenever I can - because being able to exercise while sitting really does help with managing my hypermobility syndrome and POTS.

(And no, I haven't been paid to write this. I just thought some of my readers might find it useful. I suspect it would also help with conditions like ADHD ;) )

Comments

  1. Sounds amazing! My HSD or hEDS isn't too bad, but ahhh, the help to sit without slouching and hurting my back...!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.