Hypermobility and the knock on effect of injury

 One of the challenges of hypermobility is that it has a combination of acute and chronic pain, with a side of injuries that can change the picture completely. 

I have a tried and tested strategy for dealing with my pelvis instability related injuries and the chronic pain. Exercise, movement, stretches, posture management. All familiar, and I can easily tweak management to match whatever state it is currently in....provided the pain/instability etc is within my usual range. 

 But I currently have some kind of groin strain....and it's completely changed what I can do to manage my pelvis issues! I can't manage a lot of the strategies my pelvis relies on. And this, unfortunately, even includes the sitting position my pelvis needs being incompatible with my injury!

So life at the moment is all about strategic compromise. 

I've decided I need to accept a temporary worsening of some of the pelvis stuff while the injury heals - but also trying to ensure it doesn't get too much worse. So I'm working on finding ways to move and engage muscles that don't aggravate the injury too much, while also applying ice, heat, compression, and a degree of resting with frequent moving the joint. And with a LOT of changing between positions. 

In addition to all that I ALSO have to keep up with routine living (fed, watered, clean, house tidy enough to be usable etc) - but with many of my everyday strategies of limited use, I'm having accept lower standards/expectations as well as plan new ways of doing things/trying to find more help. 

It's hard. Not just because of the pain, but because it also takes up so much brain power to deal with all the knock on effects! 

 (This isn't a pity post - I really am doing fine within these parameters. I'm just sharing this incase it helps any other #hypermobile person feel less alone, or their family to understand how even a relative simple injury can add another layer of exhausting complexity to daily life).

Comments