The under-rated achievement of NOT doing the thing

 I sit here writing this blog with a huge feeling of accomplishment...for NOT doing an important task. One that could be essential for my business.

In average life, this makes little sense.

In a life of limited energy, needing constant strategic planning and compromise - it's a massive deal.

With limited energy, difficult decisions have to be made - and the biggest factor is my capacity. Sometimes it's a good idea to do things above capacity (sometimes for practical reasons, sometimes physical, emotional or mental health reasons) - but that is a topic for another day. Other times the best choice is to manage activity to within capacity - and that is where I'm at today. Not only that, but I am also in the 'danger zone' for accidentally doing too much.

This week has been what I call 'Splat week'. I am hormonal and on my period, and the knock on effect on my hypermobility and PoTS is some pretty extreme pain, fatigue, and overall wobbliness. I spend a couple of days going downhill, a couple of days at complete splat, then a couple of days emerging back to my usual level of symptoms and capacity.

During yesterday's splat I thought of doing a SM reel of some of my coping strategies for my hormonal week. A combination of the validation I wish I'd had in my early days of disability that yes, I really do get worse at that time of each month (rather than thinking I was imagining it) and some of the things I've learned that help me through it.

Today I am on day 1 of emerging. I feel SO much better. A sense of a burden lifted and function returning. I feel so much better than I did, that I forget how far away from my usual level I still am - creating a danger zone where I *can* do things - but overdoing it and causing a crash is really really easy. 

So when I woke up and thought "Oh, I could  make that reel today" I double checked that thought - analysing the facts not just the feeling. 

Key facts: 

  • Talking is a major symptom trigger/energy drain. 
  • Pushing now will deplete tomorrow. 
  • I'm still really wobbly and had to use my wheelchair to get to the kitchen to make breakfast.
  • I have a really important thing on Saturday - if I crash now I probably won't recover in time. 
  • Waiting a few more days won't make a big difference to the business.
  • If I keep recharging I'll be able to do it with minimal hangover in a few days time.

Unsurprisingly the conclusion was: No. I am not ready. 

So I may plan some of the points I wish to make in the reel, but no filming. No practicing. No properly working on it.

Stepping back and making the best decision for the long term is a huge achievement.

It is an achievement that takes much more work than 'pushing through'. It is much better for my health and long term capacity. But at a general society level, it isn't accepted - easily labelled as giving in, playing the patient role, being lazy etc. And these labels can be raised by our own brains too.

So here's to everyone else who needs to say no. I see you. I see the good decision behind the No. I see the courage it's taken. And I celebrate your achievement.

Stickman with handheld scales - one side 'cost' (with a large purple sack on it of 'symptoms, worsening health, inability to do other tasks, energy drain. And the other side "Benefit" - with a very small, green bag that is very light. The stickman says "No". Unknown reply: "Oh, but don’t give up!  You must push through!  Don’t fill the patient roll!  Don’t let your condition define you!  Don’t be lazy!" Stickman says: " Still No. Because it is a wise decision."


Comments

  1. Timely. I’m on the bubble of launching a business. This landed just in time to keep me from being stupid. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.