Disability and decisions in advance

Decisions in advance are key to my self management. Brain fog, fatigue and overhwelm can make decisions stressful, draining - and even impossible. I can't process the options, key factors, consequences etc - and decision paralysis sets in. So I've learned, where possible to make decisions in advance - with suitable provisos (usually: unless I'm well enough to choose to do something else).

It creates a safety net that requires no weighing up of options, no considering the consequences, just reaching for my pre-prepared decisions. Saving me mental energy on busy or exhausted days, and providing a way for me to function and achieve things and look after myself even when my symptoms mean I can't make good decisions in the moment. If I find myself unexpectedly above the level of functioning I thought I'd have, and am well enough to make decisions - I can do so and override the defaults.

Things I routinely decide in advance include:

- What to wear. (including checking the weather forecast - POTS and temperature control means I must NOT wear a lovely soft warm hoodie when it's above 18 degrees outside!)

- What to eat.

- Activity options (list a range of things likely to be within expected capacity, so I can choose 1 or 2 on the day)

- Realistic work or housework related tasks.

- Whether to shower or use babywipes.

- What level of phsyiotherapy to attempt.


I even have pre-made decisions around certain symptoms:

- A numb face (which is associated with pushing way past my PoTS limits) = lie down immediately.

- Saying to myself "come on! just concentrate! Focus!" = take some complete brain-rest time, and return to the task when it feels managable again.

As I've learned how my body reacts to things decisions in advance have become become more and more useful for health management - as well as reducing the cognitive load of busy days. 

In the video below I talk through in a bit more detail about using decisions in advance to help me manage my health - with #PoTS, #Hypermobility and some kind of #Neurodivergence. Different things will work for different people, but hopefully sharing this will be useful to someone. 


Comments