A recharging break

 Not long ago I wrote about the difference between recharging breaks and holidays.

Well, last week was a recharging break.

For various reasons (not least, the heatwaves) I've been pushing my limits since spring and was in definite need of recharging. Then I caught COVID, and if there's one thing I've learned from the online long covid community it is: rest. Don't push it.

And so, 2 days after testing negative and being mostly recovered from actual covid symtpoms (just having a cough - and a definite worsening of autonomic issues) I went 'on holiday'. Only it wasn't a holiday, it was a recharging break.

And Oh Boy, was it beautiful. A week in a little holiday cottage with level access throughout the inside so I could wheel whenever I wanted. And with beautiful views.

blue sky, a wooden fence, and a section of picket fence with trees and rolling fields visible through  Open french doors onto a patio - overlooking rolling green fields and trees.carrot and sweet potato mash, smoked salmon, cream cheese, and greens. A persons legs and fluffy socks as the person lies on decking, with a patio and blue sky visible through the decking railings.

A completed 1000 piece jigsaw with a picture of a white thatched cottage with flowers in front of it. Also an open crossword book. And a tenor recorder.


I rested. Did jigsaws. Did a few crosswords. Lay on the sofa watching the view. Lay on the deck watching the view. Lay in bed watching the sky. Listened to audio books. Did lots of gentle physio (initially stretching, and sitting up actively on my wheelchair - progressing to close to my usual level over the week). Read a little. Ate. Finished watching time team - started watching abandoned engineering. Played the tenor recorder a bit. Listened to rain on the roof. Slept. I didn't leave the cottage once. And I had new pyjamas. 

It was perfect. 

And now I feel like I've come back to life. Everything is less overwhelming, and I can think clearly (at least several times a day). I'll need to be careful for a while yet as I'm still below where I was a year ago, but I have to say it's lovely to feel this well. Or perhaps, this 'not so utterly awful' 😊

And now the trick is to try and maintain it!

Comments

  1. The recharge break was just what you needed. Sounds the ideal getaway 👍🏽

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.