Disabled Parking


The other week I had a stand at an SEN conference for teachers. There were two disabled parking spaces right near the hall my stand was in - perfectly placed. And both were occupied. 

Oh well, maybe there are several other disabled exhibitors who just forgot to put their blue badges up (I was too early for them to belong to attendees). So I had to park in the main carpark, then push myself (plus boxes of stuff for my stand) across the carpark, along a section of road, and up a hill to the venue. Twice. My wrist still hasn't recovered fully. 

At the time I genuinely didn't know if it would be possible for me to manage the same in reverse at the end of the day. So I asked the other stall holders if any of them were disabled and parked in the bays - they weren't. So I asked the event organisers - they weren't either. I was impressed though, as they immediately assigned someone to find out who they belonged to. 

Eventually the cars owners were traced - non-disabled venue staff who 'didn't think any disabled people would be turning up today' and wanted a convenient spot. They moved their cars - and I did one last downhill trip to my car then parked it 2m from the door. At packing up time I could have cried with relief at not needing to do the trek. 

Disabled people exist. 
We go places, attend events, and are part of society. 

When non-disabled people use the facilities that make being out and about possible (disabled parking bays, accessible toilets etc) they have a massive effect on disabled people. That might have been the only safe option available for them - and it's taken by someone who has a hundred other options to choose from. Perhaps a disabled person won't turn up - perhaps they will. You just don't know. So if you are non-disabled, instead of using the facilities meant for disabled people - thereby preventing disabled people from attending safely however much they might want to, please leave them available so disabled people can be free to attend as and when they want - like everyone else can. (And by 'disabled' I mean all disabilities, not just wheelchair users.)

Comments

  1. Firstly, I'm sorry that you struggled so much and with the inevitable consequences that followed. I wonder though why you chose to struggled, rather than go into the venue first to ask who had parked in the two bays (without a badge). It is difficult to challenge folk, and it takes our energy but unless we do this then little will alter. It is incredibly ignorant of staff (incredible, too, given the venue) to remain like jo' public so completely unaware and uneducated of the needs of others who, are not fully able. We must unfortunately keep on doing our bit too, otherwise we shall remain invisible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essentially because of layout and timing - getting to the main reception area where all the staff were was an even further trek - and into unknown territory, and I didn't have time or energy to do that before the event started. (And yes, that is exactly why I raised the issue with staff)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.