Hormones, hypermobility, and me.

I am hypermobile - probably due to a connective tissue disorder. And linked to that I have autonomic dysfunction, some digestive issues, poor proprioception, fatigue etc. This blog is a brief snapshot of my current personal experience of hypermobility and menopause (see https://www.hypermobility.org/hormones-and-hypermobility for info on progestrogens and estrogens))

Traditionally I've had one week of feeling distinctly under the weather leading up to my period, and a day or two of basically not functioning at all due to period pain, exhaustion, worsened coordination and an inability to force my legs to hold my weight. And I'd seem to get injured much more easily.


Then over the past 2 years, perimenopause seems to have crept in. The one week 'under the weather' gradually lengthened - and when it reached 3 weeks of "under the weather", with over a week of barely functioning, I realised I needed help. The fatigue - utter unbelievable exhaustion, physical and mental. The kind where you find yourself staring at your spoon wondering how you are going to get the energy to move it to your mouth. 

Seriously. Please: No.

Thanks to a listening GP, I tried a few hormonal contraceptives - the mini pill did not get on with me at all (not surprising as it was progestogen based - but it does work for some people). So we tried others. Now I'm on a combined pill (progestogen and estrogen), and it's helping. 3 weeks of meds, then one week off. I have 3 weeks of 'my normal' level of functioning, then a hormonal dip, then back to my normal when I restart the meds. And now I'm trying running a few sections together - so having 6 weeks medicated, then one week off. 

I am approaching my first 'week off' after 6 weeks 'on'. I was expecting it to be bad, so all the routine social media posts were scheduled in advance, all meetings postponed, all commitments off, the weeks shopping done in advance (and includes no-prep foods like protein bars, crisps, bananas, carrots, and pork pies), and my PA will be keeping the Stickman Communications shop going. 

Up to this point was written during the last week 'on', while functioning at 'normal for me'. The next section will be written during what I have christened 'splat week'. Some places I've left the typo's in and I've not edited it to full coherence either. As I'm writing about my experience of hormones and how they affect me, there's no point editing out the effects!

-----

I went gently downhill for a couple of days - previously easy physio exercises becoming increasingly difficult, focus and energy reducing - but I was able to spend about 2 hours on a few basic household tasks and replying to emails. The rest of the time was spent watching familiar TV series - I read a little but not much as I couldn't keep the concentration. 

Then yesterday and today... I can barely stand. my tiny shuffling steps are the only way to avoid my knees collapsing or loosing my balance. Thinking is no. I started writing this cos I was feeling better and now I'm exhausted at paragraph 2. Back to resting.

.....

I've cried so many times over the past few days. Not in a traumatic way - just because a program had a happy or a sad moment, or simply that I feel soooo weak and tired. And sometimes that warrants a few tears. It's Wednesday evening, and I'm starting to feeling a bit better. By average person standards I've done nothing all day. By my standards I've made a real effort to stay within my boundaries - I've made 4 cups of tea, watched a few programs, listened to a podcast, napped repeatedly, and looked after my joints - but attempts to read were too much. It's now 2 days since I ate a full meal at one time. I've been snacking so my overall intake has been OK. It's not just the food prep that's been beyond me (I usually eat microwave meals, but even they need brain to undertand cooking times - and coordination not to drop it out of the microwave) but the havign to use cutlery. And needing to eat a meal all at once before it gets cold. Snacks you cna eat a bit at a time. With my fingers.

I don't believe it. I mena, I should believe it because this is what my hormones always do. But....yes, I was feelign better, but now I'm too tired to holdmy hadnds above the keys. gooodnice.t.

....

Thursday I managed a whole conversation - then that was me done for the rest of the day. Friday I had a shower. Then returned to splat. I was supposed to write paragraphs on here but no way.

---

I restarted the meds on Saturday morning - and by Sunday my limits were definitely expanding - actual housework happened between rest periods. (thanks to disposable plates the washing up pile wasn't too big).

It's now Monday.

I'm definitely on the up and have made it into the office for the first time in 10 days.

I'm learning that 'starting to feel a bit better' during splat week actually means "have recharged to my hormonal maximum - capacity still EXTREMELY limited. Expect immediate deterioration if anything involving brain or movement is attempted."

I think I'm still a day or two away from functioning at my normal level - just because of hormones.

Splat week fatigue is a type of fatigue that I can't 'recharge' out of - I have to wait it out. I can only recharge up to my massively reduced 'hormonal maximum'. If I try and 'push through' I might appear to succeed (i.e. complete the task) but the hangover can literally last weeks - it can easily take more than a month to recharge to my normal energy levels. BUT if I put all my effort into keeping my actions within what I can cope with during the hormonal dip, my baseline should head back to 'my normal' much more quickly once my hormones have settled. Within a few days.

I'd like to say I'm now all back to normal - but the reality is I've managed 2 hours of basic stuff in the office with lots of breaks - including finishing this blog. And now I'm heading home - tired, heavy eyed, slightly nauseous, non-verbal, and needign rest. Abd blankets. And regretting finishing the chocolate yesterday. Maybe I'll find s secreet statsh/

----

[Disclaimer - written in advance to ensure coherence:

This is very much my current personal experience and it wont be the same for everyone - I know of some bendy people who's symptoms improved during menopause and who've been helped by progestogens! But my advice for anyone finding their hormones are messing with their hypermobility related symptoms: Speak to your GP and try some meds. Get a gynae referral if the GP can't help.  You might not find the right meds for you first time, but don't give up. They really can make a massive difference. 

Note: this blog is also to remind me during 'splat' week that it will pass. That utter exhaustion is not my new normal but a hormone related dip - which can be prevented for most of the time - and allowed for when it happens.


Comments