Hypermobility and my skin

When I give a talks to health care professionals about hypermobility syndromes, I always mention how common it is to normalise stuff, or to not realise something from our normal is vastly different to what most people experience - and indicative of a connective tissue disorder (especially where there is a history of affected but undiagnosed family members). 

Generally speaking I'd say I'm an expert patient when it comes to hypermobility and have a pretty good handle on it, so technically I should be aware of the family traits which are actually signs and symptoms of a heritable connective tissue disorder....

I've always said my skin is pretty average. I have no drastic scars, it's not particularly stretchy (both common markers for connective tissue disorders)

Since going shopping for boots a few years ago and ending up with blisters then callouses on my little fingers from the laces of the boots I tried on (maybe 10 pairs?) and the subsequent conversation with Mum where she told me that my Dad weird skin and had similar issues with getting blisters and callouses really easily, I started to have a bit of niggling doubt. Perhaps my skin was a little unusual - maybe it is affected by a connective tissue disorder after all.

Then I completely forgot about it.

pair of black ladies lace ups with 1.5 inch heels and round laces.

Until I tweeted about laces making my fingers sore (after wearing a pair of boots with no zip and round laces for the first time in a while). The responses made me realise that most people do not, in fact, get near to blisters from tying their laces once in the morning.

So, um, yeah. I will officially no longer be telling any medical professionals that my skin is not affected.

Lightbulb moments come in many shapes and styles, and there's always more to learn.

(and no, these boots are not ones that I wear if I'm going to be attempting to walk much!)


Comments