Nesting: fatigue survival skills

Nesting is a really important coping mechanism for me.


While pacing carefully to minimise 'Boom and Bust' is absolutely vital, there are times when total flop needs to happen. This is still pacing - but it's pacing the fallout of something unavoidable or one off events. (see more about pacing in our 'The Pocket Book of Pacing')

 My reasons for nesting include:
- When hormones attack with a vengeance
- When I get a 'normal people illness' - coughs and colds seriously mess my body up.
- When I've done something that I categorise as 'totally pushing my boundaries, but worth it for good reason as a one off'

Any of the above mean I instigate 'nesting'. Prepared flop time.



In addition to lots of pillows and blankets and softness, my nest has within reach:
- no-prep snacks. (crisps, protein bars, fruit, veg)
- Several bottles of water
- Flask of tea
- a favourite book
- a well loved jigsaw and jigsaw board
- phone and charger
- laptop and charger (but only for watching TV/movies - not for brain stuff!)
- mini heat blanket
- textured ball (can be used either to massage or as sensory input)
- medications
- baby-wipes
- cross stitch

This means that I can match what I do to my energy/ability levels without needing to go anywhere.

And ensure there are appropriate 'easy to eat' mircowave meals ready for when I have recharged to the point of proper food being an option.

When I know a flop is probably approaching (eg hormones or a majorly busy event) I can set the nest up in advance. Everything (except the tea) carefully stocked in my room.

In addition I mentally clear my 'To Do' list. Nothing is 'have to'. As I recharge during a nesting day, I try and keep whatever I do to one level below what I feel I can cope with for most of the time. For example If I feel I might cope with a movie, I'll watch a nature doc or familiar movie to reduce the concentration required. If I think I might be ready to read a good book, I might wait a bit longer before doing so, and make sure its a familiar one. But I will also put the book down or switch off the screen the moment it becomes an effort. So that while I might increase what I do over the day as I recharge, I don't use up all my recharging on the activities I do.