Unexpected hotel accessibility woes

There are some accessibility issues I am always prepared for in hotels - check in desks above head height, restaurants accessed via steps, inaccessible showers and baths, gyms and spas up stairs with no lifts etc etc. I've met them all in hotels advertised as 'accessible'. Before I book somewhere new I therefore do a lot of research - asking lots of specific questions about each area, making sure I'll be able to get everywhere I want to and need to.

So when I find somewhere that works for me, and not only gives me access to my room (including bathroom) but also the restaurant, bar. gym and swimming pool - it goes on my 'safe list' and I'm likely to try and use that hotel whenever I'm in the area.

Last week I went back to a hotel that was on my 'safe list'. I've been going there for years. It takes so much stress out of travelling when I know I can get everywhere I want to go!

I arrived, gathered my bags from the car, wheeled downhill across the carpark, getting my speed just right so I could swoosh through the electric doors without stopping....

And into a newly refurbished lobby.

As I wheeled towards reception I looked around thinking "Not bad colours. I like the look of those  'office-y' space tables with sockets - I can work from there tomorrow. I wonder which chair will be most comfARGH..."


eye-poppingly surprised stickman in a wheelchair being tipped forward because the front wheel has hit a 'Level Access Lip' joining one flooring type to another positioned perfectly to stop a wheelchair.

Momentum + suddenly stop the small front wheels = tip forwards (enough momentum = splat)

Fortunately the momentum was only enough to cause shake rather than splat.

Investigate cause: smooth solid floor has been replaced around the reception desk with thick carpet. The carpet is slightly raised - possibly 1.5 cm (half an inch) above solid floor level. The step between the two is bridged by an angled rubber joint - kinda like the big black rubber cable covers. Only thicker. And at the perfect angle to stop my castors dead.

Deep breath. Get heart rate back under control. Check for alternative route. There isn't one. Reverse slightly and try again at slow speed...Nope.

Okay. Only way to check in is to pop a wheelie. Normally not an issue - but I with overnight bag, laptop, and handbag on my lap that's a lot more tricky!

Made it!

Checked in, wheeled off to my room (going down the lip was easier than going up). Sorted. At least I know to avoid the check in desk for the rest of my stay - if I need anything I'm phoning!

Breakfast the next morning:

Ooh look! slightly different layout - but nicely workable. All on the nice smooth flooring too. Choose table. Wheel confidently to the hot breakfast buffARGH!

THERE'S ANOTHER EMERGENCY STOPPER! WHY?

And deep breath.

One area of smooth, solid, perfect-for-wheels flooring to another equally delightfully accessible flooring AND YOU STICK A STOPPER RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE?

Check for alternative routes. None. Unless I stick to cereal. Not a chance. I'm here for a 'Full English'. Reverse, small wheelie, reach buffet. Fill plate. Edge cautiously towards the stopper. Being on the slightly raised section means going down should be easier than up. Slightly tricky, but achieved with all food still on the plate.

Put plate on table. Now for a cuppa.

Locate tea station. Scan access routes. oookaaaay. There's an ominous black stripe across all routes, but no visible change of floor level. Approach with caution. IT'S A STOPPER! ANOTHER STOPPER! WHY?? IS THIS FOR REAL???

Reverse. Wheelie. Make much needed cuppa. Turn around. Ah. Gotta make it out of here. I've got the technique for wheeling on smooth floors carrying a cuppa. Look at the stopper. Look at my cuppa. Every route back to my breakfast has stoppers. Stuff it. I'm not abandoning my cuppa. Do my gentle push/pass cuppa to other hand/gentle push on other wheel/ cuppa back to first hand/ Extra push with slight wheelie while holding cuppa in other hand at arms length so it doesn't spill on me.

Made it. With three quarters of a cuppa to spare. Breakfast was nice. I didn't make a second cuppa.

That evening I went to the barARGH!

THERE ISN'T EVEN A CHANGE IN FLOORING OR FLOORING HEIGHT! WHY DID YOU PUT A STOPPER THERE? WHY CAN'T THE LOVELY FLOORING JUST CARRY ON ALL THE WAY? WHY IS THE STOPPER THERE?

WHY?

Deep breath. Resigned eyebrow raise. Reverse. Wheelie.

Looks like this hotel is well and truly off my 'Safe' list until the lobby has been un-re-furbished - or at least returned to it's previous level of 'stopper'-free bliss.

And that, my friends, is why going new places is not something I do to relax, and why I rarely get excited about places being 'done up'!

(Note: I had a long conversation with the bookings manager - fingers crossed changes will be made.)