Disability Stickers

In February, Stickman Communications released new car stickers, door stickers, and 'anywhere you like' stickers - which I designed.

These include:

  • Multiple colours of Happy Accessibility Symbol stickers (in large or small) which can be used inside, outside, on cars, mobility aids, shop doors, signposts, books, medical equipment - wherever they are wanted. 
  • Car stickers which focus on getting key points across with charm and humor - about the need for extra space, flagging up that not all disabilities are visible, and that the driver uses hand controls.
  • Door stickers to let delivery people know to allow extra time for you to reach the door, without advertising that the occupier may be vulnerable.


All these stickers are on our website: http://stickmancommunications.co.uk/Stickers where you can also see more information on the types of fixings available.

But why use silly stickmen on stickers with serious and important messages?

I often find that serious explanations don't seem to sink in. The every-day reality of living with a disability is so very different from the experience of a non-disabled person that it can be very difficult to explain why something is necessary (or to be avoided). If the level that they can relate to the situation is that 'It's a bit annoying when that happens' (for example if someone parks too close it's annoying because they have to sidle through the gap and do minor contortions to get into the car - not realising that for a disabled person they may then have to wait indefinitely until the owner of the other car has finished their day and returns - which could be hours). From this perspective, requests that they change their behaviour can be seen as creating drama or being demanding. Attempting to explain why this isn't the case can then be seen as further proof that we are over-reacting.

This isn't because most people are nasty - just that human nature is to see life from our own perspective.

I find that the visual clarity of the stickmen, combined with their charm, can get across this instant understanding where spoken words often fail - somehow bypassing a lot of the assumptions and preconceived ideas that create misunderstandings.

The other half of the why is: because I wanted them. I want to have something on my car that lets people know I need extra space. I don't want stickers on my car that are angry and get other peoples backs up, or which are dull and boring and convey my disability as a dull, official thing. My disability is a normal part of my life - and I love life. So the only stickers I want on my car are ones which have life to them.




Comments